Crab And Asparagus Tart
by Gillian Reay-Young
From the end of April until June it is British asparagus season. Boil, steam, grill, roast or BBQ, this versatile vegetable will elevate any dish with its delicate and delicious flavour. Enjoy it paired with crab in this tart, perfect served with a crisp salad on a warm evening.
- Serves: 4
- 150g/6oz of shortcrust pastry (I use ready-made pastry)
- 2 eggs plus 1 yolk
- 140ml double cream
- 1 tsp brandy
- 200g/8oz crabmeat
- 25g butter
- 25g plain flour
- 140ml milk
- 2 tsp grated Cheddar cheese Salt and cayenne pepper to taste 8/10 cooked spears of asparagus
- Line and lightly grease a 20cm/8” flan dish with the rolled pastry.
- Beat the eggs, cream and brandy together, flake the crabmeat with a fork and mix into the egg mixture.
- Melt the butter in a solid pan and stir in the flour, then cook for a minute or two.
- Remove from the heat and gradually stir in the milk. Return to the heat and stir until the sauce thickens. Add the cheese and seasoning to your taste.
- Stir the crabmeat mixture into the cheese sauce and pour into the flan. Decorate the top with the asparagus spears, pushing them slightly into the mixture.
- Bake in a pre-heated oven 190C/375F/Gas mark 5 for 35-40 minutes until slightly set.