East Grinstead Town Council – unveiling of the Memorial Paving Stone honouring Sidney Godley VC
ON 23 August The Hon Eric Pickles MP will attend the official unveiling of the memorial paving stone honouring Private Sidney Godley VC exactly 100 years after he was awarded Britain’s highest award For Valour for his actions in Mons when he held a bridge against the enemy for two hours, despite being wounded, in order to let his comrades retreat.
The event will take place in the High Street at East Grinstead, as the stone will be laid on the top step of the War Memorial.
- The town centre roads will be closed between 10.15 and noon.
- The Band of the Royal Logistic Corps will leave Kings Street car park at 10.40am to march up the London Road and into the High Street followed by local youth cadets.
- At 10.55am Town Mayor Nick Hodges will welcome the guests and say a few words about Private Godley who was born in East Grinstead.
- Eric Pickles will speak briefly about how the National VC Memorial Paving Stone Project was conceived, and acknowledge the panel of judges (some of whom may be present).
- The Town Mayor will unveil the paving stone at the base of the WW1 memorial.
- There will be a brief drill display by the cadets.
- The military band will then play for 20 minutes before departing at 11.30 from the High Street and returning along London Road for their departure from the Kings Street car park.
- The roads will be cleared and reopened to the traffic by noon.
- Between noon and 2.30pm the East Grinstead concert band will continue playing in the High Street for the entertainment of shoppers.
For further details contact Julie Holden on 01342 323636.
Thanks to: East Grinstead Town Council, the East Grinstead branch of the Royal British Legion, the East Grinstead Ex-Servicemen’s Club, the High Street Traders Association, Mid Sussex District Council, East Grinstead Armed Forces Cadets, Meridian FM, the Rotary Clubs of EG and EG Lions, who have all given time or funding to help make this day happen.