by Robert Veitch
Do you know your Easter Eggs from your Eastern Queen, your cakes from your fakes? Can you remember seasonal facts, trivia and moments in history? Test yourself in our Easter Quiz and be in with a chance of winning one of three prizes.
1. Which female tennis player born on Easter Sunday 1987 and currently serving a doping ban has won all four Grand Slam tournaments at least once?
2. Which light fruitcake made at Easter has two layers of marzipan and 11 (sometimes 12) marzipan balls for decoration on the top?
3. In Easter 1967, who was top of the singles charts at Easter?
A) Engelbert Humperdinck – Please Release Me
B) Donovan – Mellow Yellow
C) Tom Jones – Delilah
D) Petula Clark – Downtown
4. Who made the jewelled eggs, given as gifts by the Russian Tsar between 1885 and 1917?
5. True or False? Every Easter in the Ugandan capital of Kampala it is tradition to leave an Easter egg outside the front door as an offering to placate wild tiger and to bring good luck for the following year.
6. The six-week period beginning on Ash Wednesday and ending at Easter is known as what on the Christian calendar?
7. What is the name of the Chilean island in the South Pacific famed for giant monolithic stone moai?
8. On Easter Sunday 1987, which long running cartoon debuted in the USA on the Tracey Ullman show?
9. The 1974 film ‘It’s the Easter Beagle Charlie Brown’ featured the usual gang; Charlie, Linus, Lucy, Peppermint Patty, Schroeder and Marcie. But what’s the name of the Beagle?
10. Which of the twelve disciples betrayed Jesus with a kiss for thirty pieces of silver?
11. Who arrived in Belfast in 1998 for the signing of the Good Friday Agreement and uttered? “A day like today is not a day for sound bites, really… But I feel the hand of history upon our shoulders.”
12. I was born James Scott Bumgarner in Oklahoma, during Easter 1928. Aged 16 I joined the Marines at the end of WWII. After the War I completed my schooling in Los Angeles before a brief career modelling swimwear. I appeared in TV commercials before my big break in 1957’s ‘Maverick’. I starred in many films including ‘The Great Escape” ‘Grand Prix’ and ‘Space Cowboys’. You might remember me best as Jim Rockford in ‘The Rockford Files’. My final curtain came down in July 2014. Who was I?
To win one of these great prizes…
- Prize 1: A hearty full English breakfast for two people including hot drinks from The Alfresco Shop, Felbridge. Breakfasts available all day Sunday to Saturday (closed Mondays).
- Prize 2: A £25 voucher from Feathers in Hurstpierpoint. The boutique is packed full of choice making this prize perfect for any Spring wardrobe update!
- Prize 3: A fantastic opportunity to indulge yourself with a pamper package worth £35 from Essensuals Toni & Guy in Haywards Heath.
Please email your answers to firstname.lastname@example.org including your name, address and telephone number by 30th April 2017.
Terms and conditions: The three winners will be picked at random by Sussex Living Ltd, from all entries with 12 correct answers. In the event that there are fewer than three entries with 12 correct answers, those with the most correct answers will be taken into account. Sussex Living’s decision will be final (your statutory rights remain unaffected). The winners will be informed by phone or email and have their names printed in our June 2017 issue. Our thanks go to The Alfresco Shop, Feathers and Essensuals for so generously donating these quiz prizes.
And for those of you who’ve been itching to know the answers…
- Maria Sharapova
- Simnel Cake
- Engelbert Humperdinck – Please Release Me
- Easter Island
- The Simpsons
- Tony Blair
- James Garner
Congratulations to our three winners. We had lots of correct answers – thank you to everyone who entered.
Well done to Susan Quelch who wins a full English breakfast from The Alfresco Shop in Felbridge. Many congratulations to Sheila from Burgess Hill who wins a £25 voucher for Feathers in Hurstpierpoint, and finally well done to Margaret Mounsdon who wins a pamper package worth £35 from Essensuals in Haywards Heath. We hope you enjoy your prizes!