by Cheryl and Amber Watkins
- Serves: 12
- Preparation Time: 40 Minutes
- Cooking Time: 10 Minutes
How wonderful it was to return home to find that my lovely daughter had baked a batch of fairy cakes topped with sumptuous butter icing. For some rainy day inspiration, why not try out her simple recipe with your little ones, with them in charge of course!
- 55g/2oz butter or margarine, softened at room temperature
- 55g/2oz caster sugar
- 1 free-range egg, lightly beaten
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 55g/2oz self-raising flour
- 1 tbsp milk
- Few drops food colouring
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas 4 and line a 12-hole fairy cake tin with cake cases.
- Mix the butter and sugar together in a bowl until pale. Beat in the egg, a little at a time, and stir in the vanilla extract.
- Fold in the flour using a large metal spoon. Add a little milk until the mixture is a soft dropping consistency and spoon the mixture into the paper cases until they are half full.
- Bake in the oven for 8-10 minutes, or until golden-brown on top and a skewer inserted into one of the cakes comes out clean. Set aside to cool for 10 minutes, then remove from the tin and cool on a wire rack.
- 140g/5oz butter, softened
- 280g/10oz icing sugar
- 1-2 tbsp milk
- Beat the butter in a large bowl until soft. Add half of the icing sugar and mix until smooth.
- Add the remaining icing sugar and one tablespoon of the milk and beat the mixture until creamy and smooth.
- Stir in the food colouring until well combined.
- Add sprinkles generously!