Lindfield Bonfire Night Celebration Event Details
SATURDAY 5th NOVEMBER 2016
This year Lindfield Bonfire Society will be holding our Bonfire Night celebration on Saturday 5th November. Our celebrations will start with our fancy dress competition at the King Edward Hall, followed by a torch light procession around Lindfield. On the Common the reading of the Bonfire Prayer and lighting of the bonfire will take place, before ending the evening with our grand firework display. We will regularly update our web site and Facebook page with news and details in the run up to our event, so please keep checking in to see what is happening.
Our street collection on the night is in aid of local children’s charities: Chestnut Tree House, Court Meadow RDA, C.L.A.P.A., Kangaroos & Orchard House.
As always we really look forward to seeing you all on the night, but please:
- Do not bring sparklers, fireworks or bangers into the village or onto the Common as it is dangerous and against the law (yes, even the sparklers!).
- LBS operate a strict no fireworks policy outside of our display. The discharging of rookies, bangers or other fireworks is not permitted before the procession, during it or in the public viewing areas.
- Please do not bring pets to our night.
- For public safety no drones are allowed at our event. Anyone found operating one will be reported to the police.
- Please be considerate to local residents before, during and after our event.
Programme of Events*
2.00pm – Guy Building Competition Judging – Lindfield Common (free to enter)
6.30pm – Fancy Dress Competition – at the King Edward Hall (free to enter)
7.30pm – Torchlight Procession – parade through the village
8.15pm – Lighting of the Bonfire – preceded by the Traditional Bonfire Prayer
8.30pm – Grand Firework Display – on Lindfield Common
9.00pm – End of show
*All timings are approximate and subject to weather conditions.
Roads in the village will be closed from 6.30pm until 9.30pm. Roads affected by closures are:
- The High Street and Black Hill will be closed for the entire evening.
- Lewes Road from the junction of Eastern Road, The High Street, Black Hill and Hickmans Lane.
- Hickmans Lane will be closed while the procession is on and will re open once the procession has moved onto Lindfield Common.
- Traffic will then be diverted along Hickmans Lane while the High Street is closed.
- While Hickmans Lane is closed there will be no entry onto it from the following roads, Denman’s Lane, Brookway, Finches Park Road, The Welkin, Compton Road, Shenstone and Sunte Avenue.
- Traffic will be also diverted via Eastern Road, Luxford Road, Newton Road and Dukes Road due to the closure of Lewes Road. There will also be no entry onto Lewes Road from Chaloner Road.
It is advised that if travelling south towards Lindfield from Ardingly to go via College Road, Ardingly to avoid Lindfield and if heading North from Haywards Heath to use Summerhill Lane towards Ardingly to avoid Lindfield.
If you live locally please walk to our event as parking is very restricted within Lindfield Village. Vehicle access to our event will be affected by road closures during the night. If coming by car we recommend you park in Haywards Heath, or on the outskirts of the village, and walk to our event. When deciding where to park:
- Avoid the procession route
- Consider access for local residents and the emergency services
After the event:
- Remember that it will take time to leave the village as the crowds disperse.
- Please drive carefully as the crowd will be using both the pavements and road.
A small viewing area and car parking is available for disabled visitors at the top common car park just off Backwoods Lane. Please contact us in advance so we can discuss further accessibility to the village and the viewing site.
Facebook: Lindfield Bonfire Society