by Diane Clark
If you want to get ahead of the game for Christmas, we have two delicious pâtés that you can whizz up in next to no time. They are luxurious enough to make the table for your festive feast and can be made days in advance, which is such a bonus!
Chicken Liver Pâté
- Serves: 4
- Preparation Time: 10 minutes
- Cooking Time: 20 minutes
- 60g (2oz) butter
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove of garlic, crushed
- 250g (8oz) chicken livers
- 1-2 teaspoons curry paste of your choice
- 125ml (4fl oz) chicken stock
- A dash of Madeira for a subtle sweetness
- 2 hard-boiled eggs
- Salt and pepper
- 2 pinches of cayenne pepper
- Fresh bay leaves and lemon
- Melt half the butter in a frying pan. Add onion, garlic and chicken livers and cook gently for 5 minutes, stirring.
- Add curry paste and cook for 1 minute, then add chicken stock and Madeira and cook gently for 5 minutes, stirring and turning livers frequently.
- Put the chicken liver mixture and hard-boiled eggs in a blender or food processor and blend to form a smooth puree.
- Season with salt, pepper and cayenne pepper, then turn mixture into a small serving dish or terrine. Smooth the surface. Melt the remaining butter in a pan and pour over surface of the pate.
- Leave to set slightly, then garnish with fresh bay leaves.
- Chill for several hours or overnight before adding the lemon slices and serving with crusty bread.
- Serves: 6
- Preparation Time: 2 minutes
- Cooking Time: 10 minutes
- 3 bunches of asparagus
- 3 tablespoons of clotted or double cream
- Finely chopped mint
- Black pepper and sea salt
- Snap the woody ends off the asparagus.
- Blanch the asparagus spears in boiling salted water until tender then drain.
- Blend the asparagus, cream and mint together and mix thoroughly.
- Season with sea salt and black pepper, to taste, and whiz one last time.