Sweet Chilli Relish
by Diane Clark
If you like your relish a little hotter, why not try adding a zing with our chilli recipe, perfect with left over turkey too.
- Makes: 4 Jars
- Preparation Time: 20 minutes
- Cooking Time: 1hr 15 minutes
- 8 red peppers, deseeded and roughly chopped
- 10 red chillies, roughly chopped
- Finger-sized piece of fresh root ginger, peeled and roughly chopped
- 8 garlic cloves, peeled
- 400g can cherry tomatoes
- 750g golden caster sugar
- 250ml red wine vinegar
- Tip the peppers, chillies (with seeds), ginger and garlic into a food processor, then whizz until very finely chopped. Scrape into a heavy-bottomed pan with the tomatoes, sugar and vinegar, then bring everything to the boil. Skim off any froth that comes to the surface, then turn the heat down to a simmer and cook for about 50 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Once the mixture is becoming sticky, continue cooking for 10-15 minutes more, stirring frequently so that it doesn’t catch and burn. It should now look like thick, bubbling lava. Cool slightly, transfer to sterilised jars, then leave to cool completely. This relish keeps for 3 months in a cool, dark cupboard. Refrigerate once opened.