Vegan Mushroom Wellington
by Sara Whatley
Fancy something a bit different for your Christmas fare this year? Try Sara Whatley’s vegan mushroom wellington for a mouth-watering centre piece
- Serves: 4-5
- Preparation Time: 30 minutes
- Cooking Time: 35 minutes
- 450g Mixed Mushrooms, sliced
- 1 Red Onion, diced
- 2 Garlic Cloves, chopped
- Olive Oil
- Pinch of salt
- Large sprig of Rosemary, leaves stripped and chopped
- 125g Cooked Chestnuts, roughly chopped
- Glug of booze (vegan wine/sherry/port)
- Dribble of balsamic vinegar
- Optional extra, truffle oil
- Ground black pepper to taste
- 1 sheet ready roll puff pastry (many are vegan), at room temp
- Pre heat the oven to 200C/Gas 6. Heat the oil in a pan and gently sauté the onion, garlic, mushrooms, rosemary and salt until all the liquid has evaporated, be patient it takes a while.
- Add a generous glug of your chosen alcohol and continue to sauté until the mix is dry again. Add the chopped chestnuts, balsamic, drop of truffle oil if using and pepper. Leave to cool.
- Unroll the puff pastry and mound the mushroom mix down the centre. With a sharp knife cut slightly diagonal ribbons down either side and bring alternative sides over the top, as if plaiting. Tuck the ends under. Brush the pastry with oil and place in the centre of the oven for 35 mins, until nicely brown.